Recipe - Marilyn's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Here is another recipe from the cookbook that my mother and wife created more than thirty years ago.
This recipe is a family favorite and people cannot tell that there is zucchini in the cake.
Marilyn's Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
1 stick of margarine
1/2 cup of oil
1 3/4 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup of buttermilk
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 heaping tablespoons cocoa
2 cups of shredded zucchini
1/2 cup of chocolate bits
1/2 cup of nuts (optional)
Combine margarine, oil, eggs and sugar. Add vanilla and buttermilk.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa in a sifter.
Sift dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Lastly add zucchini, chocolate bits and nuts to mixture.
Using a 9x13 inch pan, make sure that the pan is well greased and add batter to the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.
Once the cake is cool, ice with your favorite frosting. In our pictures we added peanut butter frosting.
Custom Bottle Openers
A couple weeks before Father’s Day I was asked to make some custom acrylic handled bottle openers. Not a problem, I can do this and the primary color was to be orange. Once a again not a problem or so I thought.
I decided that a good secondary color would be yellow or gold. So Mary (my lovely wife and assistant) and I got to mixing up the Alumilite. I poured parts A & B and Mary stirred them together. I added orange coloring to the Alumilite and it turned red. Wait red? So I put in more orange coloring and it was still red. More coloring, still red. I added gold flakes to the other clear Alumilite that we had stirred up and that was gold. We were running out of time. We have seven minutes from the time that part A and B start being mixed together until the mixture has to be in the mold and under air pressure or else the urethane acrylic starts to harden and the air bubbles are too big and will leave voids in the acrylic. The air pressure makes the air bubbles so small that they aren’t a problem. I realize that seven minutes sounds like plenty of time but it can get intense especially if things don’t seem to be going quite as planned.
So we are at five and a half minutes and things aren’t looking good. Actually they are looking great but it’s red and not orange. We pour the colors into the mold and mix them together to get some swirls working for us. We just made it under the allotted time and the proof will be once they are turned.
The next day I took the block out from under pressure and, yup, it’s still red and gold. I cut the block up into the 4 blanks that I needed and the block is still showing red and gold but the shavings that were created during the cutting process are orange. Well all right, now things are looking up.
I start to turn the first handle and the handle looks like it’s red and gold but the shavings on the floor, the lathe and me are orange and gold. I get the handle done and polished up and it’s a beautiful red and gold but not orange, unlike my shop. These shavings are clinging to everything. You can see every place that I walked because I am leaving behind a trail of orange shavings.
We show the customer two of the openers to see what she thinks of them, and luckily for us, she loved them. They really are spectacular. The coloring has a lot of depth to it and if you rotate the handles in the light things seem to change and shift.
- Kim Dailey
- Tags: acrylic Carthage Carthage Maine carthage ME Carthage woodturner Dailey Grind dailey woodworking Dailey Woodworking news made in maine maine maine made maine wood turner maine woodturner Maine woodturning maineteam ME micro business My Shop new colors polymer resin small business The Dailey Grind turning acrylic using Alumilite woodturning woodturning in Maine working with Alumilite
May Flowers - Limited Edition Haynes MillMeet the limited edition 8 inch Haynes pepper mill made in May Flowers laminated Birch veneer.
- Kim Dailey
- Tags: bark edge maple burl bark edge maple burl bowl Carthage Carthage Maine carthage ME Carthage woodturner Dailey Grind dailey woodworking Dailey Woodworking news Kim Dailey laminated birch laminated mills laminated pepper mill laminated wood laminated wood mill laminated wooden mill laminated wooden pepper grinders live edge maple burl made in maine maine maine made maine woodturner Maine woodturning maple maple burl Mills & Spice Grinders My Shop natural edge maple burl pepper grinder pepper mill Salt and Pepper Mills Spice Grinders The Dailey Grind wood turning woodturning woodturning in Maine
Day 3 and I found a cool appJed and I for day three and the app that I used to put together this cool video.
- Kim Dailey
- Tags: Birdseye Maple bowl making bowl turning bowl turning class Bowls and Platters CAP2019 Carthage Carthage Maine carthage ME Carthage woodturner craftapprenticeprogram craftapprenticeprogram2019 Dailey Grind dailey woodworking Dailey Woodworking news Figured Maple hand turned wood salad bowl Jed Malcore Kim Dailey Life in general made in maine maine Maine CAP program maine made maine wood bowl maine wood bowl maker maine wood turner maine wooden bowl maine wooden bowl maker maine woodturner Maine woodturning mainecap maineteam making a bowl making a wooden bowl Malcore Woodturning maple maple bowl maple burl maple fruit bowl maple salad bowl ME micro business My Shop nested bowl set nested bowls nested set of bowls nested wood bowls nested wooden bowls salad bowl small business small wood bowl small wooden bowl The Dailey Grind transforming a log turning a bowl turning class turning classes wood wood bowl wood fruit bowl wood salad bowl wood turning wood turning classes wooden bowl wooden bowls wooden fruit bowl wooden salad bowl woodturning woodturning class woodturning classes woodturning in Maine youtube video channel
Apprenticeship day 2Our apprenticeship got off to unexpected start. Actually it was a stall but we are now going full speed ahead.
- Kim Dailey
- Tags: Bowls and Platters CAP2019 Carthage Carthage Maine carthage ME Carthage woodturner craftapprenticeprogram craftapprenticeprogram2019 dailey woodworking Jed Malcore Kim Dailey Life in general made in maine maine maine made maine wood bowl maine wood bowl maker maine wooden bowl maine wooden bowl maker maine woodturner Maine woodturning mainecap Malcore Woodturning maple My Shop salad bowl The Dailey Grind wood wood salad bowl wood turning wooden salad bowl woodturning woodturning in Maine
The tale of two bowlsThis morning I checked on some roughed out bowls that I had set aside to dry.
- Kim Dailey
- Tags: blister maple bowl blister maple wood bowl blister maple wooden bowl bowl making bowl turning Bowls and Platters Carthage Carthage Maine carthage ME Carthage woodturner carved wood curly maple curly maple salad bowl curly maple wood bowl curly maple wooden bowl dailey woodworking etsy maine team Figured Maple fruit bowl hand turned wood salad bowl Kim Dailey Life in general made in maine maine maine made maine wood bowl maine wood bowl maker maine wood turner maine wooden bowl maine wooden bowl maker maine woodturner Maine woodturning maineteam making a bowl making a wooden bowl maple maple bowl maple salad bowl ME My Shop nested bowl set nested bowls nested set of bowls nested wood bowls nested wooden bowls salad bowl small business spalted maple spalted maple salad bowl spalted maple wood bowl spalted maple wooden bowl spalted maple wooden salad bowl spalted wood The Dailey Grind transforming a log turning a bowl wood bowl wood salad bowl wood turning wooden bowl wooden bowls wooden salad bowl woodturning woodturning in Maine